Gemstones can get damaged from careless handling.
- Don’t put pressure on the stone while removing a gemstone ring, it loosens the gem.
- Store every gemstone jewellery separately to prevent harder stones from scratching softer stones. Gemstones can scratch the gold plating, silver or platinum, if all jewellery are kept together.
- Dust and soap can get collected behind the gems in rings. It should be cleaned on regular basis for stones to have its shine.
- For cleaning transparent crystal gemstones, soak in a soapy water. A soft toothbrush can be used to scrub behind the stone. Rinse it thoroughly and pat dry with soft cloth.
- Pearls, coral, and amber being an organic gems should be wiped clean with moist cloth. They are soft and porous by nature. Any chemicals in hairspray, cosmetics, or perfume can damage.
- Lapis lazuli, turquoise, malachite, being an opaque gemstones are rocks, not crystals they require special care. For cleaning wipe them softly using a moist cloth. They are porous and absorb chemicals, even soap, and can discolour it. Don’t use ultrasonic cleaner and ammonia or any chemical solution.